News

Ballina explosion survivor: "Everything I owned is gone"

Susannah Poole standing in front of her house which was burned in a fire following an explosion in Ballina on Friday night.
Susannah Poole standing in front of her house which was burned in a fire following an explosion in Ballina on Friday night. Nolan Verheij-Full

SUSANNAH Poole was having a quiet Friday night at home when the shock explosion in her neighbour's unit turned her world upside down.

Within a few minutes of the blaze taking hold, she had lost everything bar the clothes on her back.

Ms Poole's second-floor unit was one of three units in the five-unit block to be completely gutted by the fire.

GAS BOTTLE TO BLAME FOR FATAL EXPLOSION AND FIRE

"I don't even have any underwear. I have nothing; everything I owned was in that place," Ms Poole said.

"Just to have your whole life wiped out in one night where you don't own a single thing ... I should be grateful that I'm alive; but I am in shock."

And it happened so quickly.

My parents are both deceased, and I had items that they'd given me and that hurts more than anything

- Susannah Poole

"I was just sitting on the lounge watching TV ... then the biggest explosion you've ever heard," Ms Poole said.

"The whole building shook and there was a massive bang ... I looked out the front and there was orange flames ... I looked down and all the windows had exploded, there was glass everywhere and smoke was starting to bellow out.

The block of units at 38 Owen St, Ballina destroyed in Friday night's explosion.
The block of units at 38 Owen St, Ballina destroyed in Friday night's explosion.

"This was about 10 seconds after the explosion ... I just panicked and ran down the stairs.

"I didn't even have time to get my bag, I had to leave."

Cutting her feet on broken glass on the way down was the least of Ms Poole's concerns.

The evacuees quickly realised one resident was still in his flat and efforts were made by one to get into the unit, but it was already engulfed in flames.

"I just had a singlet and a skirt on; I knew I couldn't go back up the steps," she said.

"I ran down into Carrington Lane and shouted 'can someone please call triple-0."

"It was not going to be saved; that was evident in about three minutes."

Susannah Poole is devastated she lost everything when her house burned down in Ballina on Friday night.
Susannah Poole is devastated she lost everything when her house burned down in Ballina on Friday night. Nolan Verheij-Full

Ms Poole later admitted herself to hospital but was, except for her feet, uninjured. But the fire destroyed her most valued possessions.

"My parents are both deceased, and I had items that they'd given me and that hurts more than anything," she said

"Everything that you've gathered over the years, everything sentimental ... imagine it no longer exists."

But Ms Poole said she was incredibly grateful for the circle of friends who had come to her aid.

One friend had put her up on Friday night while another had offered a caravan for temporary accommodation.

"When things like this happen you realise what you do have," she said of the support.

Close friend Sarah Healy said a fundraiser to help Ms Poole would be set up and at least five donation tins would be put out at local pubs.

Topics:  ballina explosion, editors picks, fire, house fire




'Aggressive' great white shark knocks man off board

A 2.28m Great White is tagged by the Department of Primary Industries at Coffs Harbour on Tuesday.

"It went under his SUP towards our son, then circled around."

New bar to transform Lismore CBD warehouse

GRAND PLANS: Plans to renovate warehouse into a live music venue

This venue aims to make international acts tour Lismore over Byron

Homeless man, 84, admitted to $1m hotel fire: Police

Greg Bird, the manager of the Australian Hotel in Ballina, checks over the extensive damage to the back bar and bistro area of the popular pub following a fire in the early hours of this morning, May 27. Photo: Graham Broadhead

Police say he admitted to starting the fire using cigarette lighter

Latest deals and offers

Matt Damon is taking a break from acting

Matt Damon is taking a break to spend time with his family

Police foiled terrifying 1m plot to kidnap Katie Price

Police foiled a £1 million plot to kidnap Katie Price and her family

Kristen Bell's baby confession

Kristen Bell once pretended to be asleep when her baby woke up early

Have a Stoli Bolly and let's go darling!

THEY ARE BACK: Jennifer Saunders and Joanna Lumley in Absolutely Fabulous: The Movie.

Absolutely Fabulous, The Movie hits the screens

Babylon 5's Jerry Doyle has died

Jerry Doyle has died from unknown causes at the age of 60

Mum driver heroically ignores hilarious lip-syncing son

Hilarious moves while Mum concentrates on the road.

IF IT takes a village to raise a child, why aren't they driving?

You can own this Queensland town for just $1

Yelarbon

Unprecedented auction of town's business centre with no reserve

Work starts on $15M Caloundra apartment building

Turning the first sod at the Aqua View Apartments site in Kings Beach are (from left) husband-and-wife developers Alex Yuan and Stella Sun with construction company Tomkins director Mike Tomkins and Councillor Tim Dwyer.

Developers excited about addition to Kings Beach skyline

Plans revealed for 1500-lot 'master-planned community'

Precinct will be bounded by Boundary St and Shoesmith Rd

Ecco Ripley sales run sparks prime release

MOVING IN: Sekisui House has announced the release of more residential blocks at Ecco Ripley.

Sekisui House is preparing to unveil more land at Ecco Ripley

Massive residential 9-storey high-rise hit by delays

An artist’s impression of the eight-storey-high apartment complex that Bernoth Holdings wants to build in South Toowoomba, next to the City Golf Club.

Developer struggles to get approved high-rise development started