Twists and turns in court case leave Metgasco perplexed

METGASCO'S bid to have its former PEL16 exploration licence reinstated has taken a strange turn.

The NSW Government has apparently decided not to present any evidence to the Supreme Court, which would have justified its decision to suspend the PEL16 licence in May.

The Government says it suspended Metgasco's licence on the grounds the company failed in its community consultation requirements.

While the government submitted some background documents to the court in June, it was expected to provide a full outline of its case with accompanying documents by last Friday.

But after initially requesting an extension until this week - citing the unavailability of key personnel - on Wednesday it apparently decided against submitting any evidence at all.

Metgasco had previously submitted its evidence to the court on July 28.

In an ASX statement yesterday, CEO Peter Henderson said the withholding of evidence would prevent Metgasco's lawyers from cross-examining in court senior figures responsible for the suspension.

"We are surprised by the NSW Government's decision not to submit evidence," he said.

"It is especially disappointing given the Government's claim a few weeks ago that our request for it to produce documents was 'premature'."

Mr Henderson speculated that the government may in fact not have any documentation of its decision, given the suspension was imposed virtually overnight.

"It's possible there isn't any evidence because the decision was made on the spur of the moment," he said.

"It is important in these circumstances that the suspension decision be properly justified by Government and scrutinised by the courts.

"We think it's important the public can see why the decision was made, how the decision was made, in a transparent manner.

"We do not see the transparency."

The company's statement said the case is now likely to be heard in December, despite the company's best efforts to expedite the case.

Topics:  court csg

Further social media reports of shark sightings

A young surfer had a lucky escape after being hit by a shark at Broken Head near Byron Bay. Photo: Twitter - Geoffrey John Knapp.

Man describes the shark incident this morning

Go Fund Me for Amanda Nash to continue to receive donations

A photo of Amanda Nash and her daughter, Bonnie, posted on the GoFundMe fundraising page.

MORE than $68,000 raised for family of woman killed in crash

WATCH: Your North Coast National experiences

Stocking up on show bags (left to right): Tyler Elford, 4; Samantha Elford; Mason Elford, 2; Paige Jackson, 5; Aiden Jackson, 3.

You told us what you liked about the North Coast National

Local Partners

Priscilla concerned people will forget about Elvis

Priscilla Presley source Bang

She says she feels responsible to keep his legacy going

Taylor Swift files lawsuit over alleged groping

Taylor Swift source Bang

Swift has commenced legal action against a DJ over the incident

Kanye West threatens to boycott Grammys

West says he won't go to the Grammys if Frank Ocean's not nominated

Why this actress wasn't embarrassed by nude photo leak

Leslie Jones source Bang

'If you wanna see Leslie Jones naked, just ask,' she said

Federal grant keeps NORPA telling our local stories

ANNOUNCEMENT: NORPA's Producer Marisa Snow, Artistic Director Julian Louis, General Manager Patrick Healy, Chair David Wolff, with Member for Page Kevin Hogan.

Arts company granted almost $400,00 over two years

Dad's Army comic genius Jim Perry dies

Jimmy Perry, the creator of Dad's Army.

Dad's Army series captured all that British people savour

Hinterland horse stud passed in for $8.25 million

UNREAL: This Maleny estate is incredible.

12-bedroom hinterland horse stud still available

Hit songwriter's Noosa mansion on market

SPECIAL PLACE: The Cintamani estate is going to tender, marketed by Tom Offermann Real Estate.

Is this Queensland's best property?

Kiwi siblings snap up Dotcom mansion for $32.5m

The new toy company owners of the Coatesville mansion want replace any controversy with positivity and fun. Photo / Barfoot and Thompson

The trio paid $32.5 million for the property in June

New $200 million development will create 580 jobs

Cassie And Josh with baby Alfie and daughter Andee. They have bought at new Lennox Head development Epiq.

Majority of new positions will be given to Northern Rivers locals

Cherrabah's mega resort plans axed

PLANS for a massive development at Cherrabah have been scrapped.

Dusit Thani finance crisis 'just a small hiccup'

ON TRACK: Springfield Land Chairman, Maha Sinnathamby, Ipswich Mayor Paul Pisasale, Developer Richard Turner and Springfield Land Deputy Chairman, Bob Sharpless, at the recent resort sod turning ceremony.

Property developer says project remains firmly on track